The following resources will help a student through the various Nursing and Allied Health courses and programs offered at WCC as well as certification preparation, news, and industry information.
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) is used as part of the admissions process by Nursing and Allied Health schools across the nation including Washtenaw Community College.
Academic and Career Skills has put together a comprehensive TEAS Exam Preparation Blackboard site that contains general information, practice tests, test taking strategies, and study material related to the math, science, reading, and English and Language usage portions of the exam.
To register for the ACS TEAS Prep Blackboard Site, please contact Susan Travis.
Divisional Counselor Health Sciences
Secretary to the School of Nursing & Health Science
Additional resources are offered at the WCC Barnes and Nobles Bookstore. There, students can purchase the current version of the “PLATO TEAS PREP” course. This is an online program that provides a pre-test in the four content areas (math, reading, science, and English). After completion of the pre-test(s), lessons are available to review and practice the content areas that need the most review. Students can also purchase the TEAS Study Guide by ATI Nursing Education.
Nursing Pre-Entrance and Drug Dosage Tests
The following webpages were developed by Washtenaw Community College instructor, Roger Palay. They contain practice problems for the nursing pre-entrance math test and drug dosage test. The problems will re-load each time the page is revisited or refreshed.
Nursing Apps for Students
- Black’s Medical Dictionary (Android, iOS): This medical dictionary has been in existence and has been printed for over 100 years. The app allows for quick and simple reference of over 5,000 definitions right in the palm of your hand.
- Davis Mobile NCLEX-RN Apps (Android, iOS): The Davis Company collection of NCLEX apps are a great resource for nursing student preparing for their certification exam.
- Heart Pro III (iOS): This app contains beautiful 3-D images of all aspects of the heart. It also contains the heart rhythms to listen for in a patient.
- Human Anatomy Atlas (Android, iOS): This useful app contains over 3,800 3-D images of the human anatomy and structure.
- Med Mnemonics (Android, iOS): This app contains suggestions for mnemonics to help memorize terminology learned in nursing school.
- Mini Nurse (Android): This app contains many definitions and practice questions for topics and courses covered in nursing school. These topics range from medical terminology to understanding heart and lung sounds.
- Nursing Central (Android, iOS): This app serves as a one-stop-shop for nurses and nursing students. It contains over 17 million journal articles, 4,600 Drugs, and 56,000 dictionary terms.
- Nursing in a Flash – Med Surg Volumes I & II (Android, iOS): This app converts a library of 4,700 study questions into reviewable flash cards.
- Popplet (iOS): Popplet is a great mind-mapping app/website that allows students to think and learn visually by connecting ideas and concepts.
- Symptomia (iOS): This easy-to-use app allows the user to put in symptoms and then outputs possible diseases associated with those symptoms.
Nursing Tools (General)
- Drugs.com Medication Guide (Android, iOS): This app allows the user to lookup drug information, identify pills, and check interactions of medications.
- MediBabble Translator (iOS): This app serves as a translator tool for nurses working with non-English speakers. It helps to improve patient care by improving communication and accessibility.
- Nurses Aid (Android): This app has a library of tools aimed at helping to keep nurses organized and to provide a way to easily manage their busy schedules.
- Nursing Care Plans (iOS): This app contains over 300 care plans, all of which of customizable and include a wide range of fields and topics.
- ShiftPlanning (Android, iOS): Similarly to Nurses Aid, this app has a collection of tools to help nurses manage tasks and keep track of their busy schedules.
- Skyscape Medical Resources (Android, iOS): This app is truly another one-stop-shop for nurses. It has tools and features covering essentially every aspect of a nurses job. Some of those features include prescription drug information, medical calculators, and even medical news.
- Discover Nursing: Discover Nursing is a website that has a lot of information about the nursing profession – from scholarships and specialties to career opportunities and more.
- Learning Nurse: The Learning Nurse Resources Network is geared towards informal nurse learning, continuing education, and professional development. The resources are appropriate for all levels of nurses and nursing students and include, but are not limited to, a library, quizzes, games, and self-assessment tools.
Research Databases, News Articles, and Journals (The following databases are meant to be used for academic purposes in educational programs only.)
- Health & Wellness Resource Center: Here, you will find newspaper and magazine articles and reference book information on topics related to Health & Wellness. In addition, you will find links to websites on these topics.
- Health Reference Center: This website provides newspaper and magazine articles related to all aspects of health and medicine.
- Nursing Resource Center: This is a database for many topics relevant to nursing such as care plans, disease and drug overviews, animated anatomy and physiology diagrams, and journal articles.
- Pubmed Central: Pubmed is a full-text archive of biomedical and life science journals at the U.S. National Institutes of Health’s National Library of Medicine.